Thursday, August 31, 2017

Lucid (Chapter 59)

Lucid is way tooooooooooo long.  
I still have a few more chapters of Grammarly doctoring to go.
I think it's putting lipstick on a pig, but then, I hit a passage where Lucy's voice isn't dragged to a standstill by my inept fingers and I remember why I liked it.  Why I wrote it when there were so many other ideas I could've hitched onto.  



“Reminds me of fishing.  I used to go fishing when I was a boy a million years ago.  Friend of my father’s…His wife would come.  Oh, she brought sandwiches.  The best sandwiches, I swear.  Egg salads, I want to say.” 
He pointed at my head and said, “That’s the kind of hat she wore if I remember right.  The exact same.”
He held my eyes.  I thought of Superman’s pal, Jimmy Olsen.  Jimmy weathered like an apple left unpicked or fallen off the branch, wrinkling and browning beneath the sun.  A face you might see in a bad dream.  But I still looked him in the eye.  It was polite. 

No comments:

Post a Comment